Now I can’t say I’ve ever been a meatball fan but oh my! These are fantastic! I have altered the dieters recipe a little but I really don’t think anyone could be disappointed with these!
I normally buy my mince meat separately but was unable to on this occasion and reluctantly bought a pre mix pack at the supermarket. It was Asda Butchers selection and I won’t be making these any other way in future! Slightly higher cals and fat but worth it!
.5tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g mix of pork and beef mince
.5tbsp Worcestershire sauce
30ml SS milk
.5tsp all spice
.25tsp ground nutmeg
45g breadcrumbs, I used 1 slice seed sensation Hovis
100ml White wine
2 beef stock cubes, made up to 500ml
30g reduced fat creme fraiche
1 tbsp red current jelly
Up to 2 tsp of corn flour
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute before removing from the heat and leaving to cool. Preheat your oven to 200C.
2. Next put the mince meat, Worcestershire sauce, milk, allspice, nutmeg, breadcrumbs and lastly the cooled onion mix into a large bowl. Combine well.
3. Divide into individual balls, mine were about 30g each and this made 22. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for around 15 minutes until cooked through. At this point you can remove and cool to either use later or freeze.
4. When ready to make the gravy pour the wine into a pan and boil vigorously until reduced by half. Add the stock and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Allow to cool slightly then add the creme fraiche and jelly. Simmer whilst stirring until dissolved. Mix a little of the sauce with the cornflour and stir, slowly add this back to the sauce until you get the consistency you require.
6. Add the meatballs and bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through
Lovely served with rice and green veg
Nutrition per portion*
This really was a very simple meal, I made the meatballs the night before and froze 2 portions then just reduced the sauce ingredients by half the following night for a quick dinner. Can’t wait to eat again! Nom! X
*Please remember that nutritional information stated in these recipes depend on weights and actual products used so yours may vary.